CSX Hiring Process

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. DO NOT post jobs here. Post job listings in the Job Postings forum.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: CSX Hiring Process

Postby supernova1972 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:52 pm

There are 27, I repeat 27 guys on a furlough retention board (Including me) at my yard and 7 trainees right now. Not one on the furlough board has gone out in 5 weeks, and it doesn't pay crap. Pretty much everyone has found part time work to supplement. They don't tell you all this at the REDI lol. And now CSX has a policy not allowing transfers until you have one year in, so they have fresh trained guys who are willing to go to areas that need help and learn, and the company wont do it.

But here is the thing, if you cant handle that, don't come or leave. Any job with this kind of pay after say 5 years and this retirement is worth sticking out for. I came from Union Pipefitting to this and let me tell you son, this is much better. I still should be able to retire at 60 with full benefits and make a great killing on a job that is pretty damn easy.
supernova1972

Postby rjmims6017 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello, this is my first post. I applied for conductor positions in Florence and Hamlet in November '11 and my status is still "application pending review" as of 5/12/12. Although the job postings still haven't closed yet I am a bit confused as to what this means and if it's good,bad, or neither? Will the job posting ever close or do you think they may just cancel it altogether? I have an outstanding resume (imo) as I worked 5 years for a short-line before I got laid off 2 years ago (not fired). I even had to qualify on CSX's rule book every year because we interchanged and built our trains in their yard so I don't think my resume is the problem. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rjmims6017

Postby mattyfro1973 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 pm

by supernova1972 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:52 pm

There are 27, I repeat 27 guys on a furlough retention board (Including me) at my yard and 7 trainees right now. Not one on the furlough board has gone out in 5 weeks, and it doesn't pay crap. Pretty much everyone has found part time work to supplement. They don't tell you all this at the REDI lol. And now CSX has a policy not allowing transfers until you have one year in, so they have fresh trained guys who are willing to go to areas that need help and learn, and the company wont do it.

But here is the thing, if you cant handle that, don't come or leave. Any job with this kind of pay after say 5 years and this retirement is worth sticking out for. I came from Union Pipefitting to this and let me tell you son, this is much better. I still should be able to retire at 60 with full benefits and make a great killing on a job that is pretty damn easy.
supernova1972

So, supernova1972, what yard you work at or at least what state? Hope you are not in Buffalo or the Albany, NY division????? When you say "Doesn't pay Crap" do you mean the guarantee pay of approx. 43k?? Thanks for any info you can give, not sounding too promising so far. Thanks!!
mattyfro1973

Postby trainman82 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 pm

when your on a furlow retention board, you don't make the full guarentee, i belive it's like around 600 a week or something like that. i am about to graduate and mark up friday of this week and they don't even know what their going to do with us. (there are 4 of us) it is kinda nerve racking to not know if your going to be furlowed in a few days or not!
trainman82

Postby COEN77 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:03 am

trainman82 wrote:when your on a furlow retention board, you don't make the full guarentee, i belive it's like around 600 a week or something like that. i am about to graduate and mark up friday of this week and they don't even know what their going to do with us. (there are 4 of us) it is kinda nerve racking to not know if your going to be furlowed in a few days or not!

Retention boards pay $2000 for two weeks it keeps benefits like healthcare and retirement credits. A person will be assigned two weeks to protect openings on CSX. The other two weeks they're free to do side work get a part time job ect....Is it nerve racking not knowing? Of course it is but your not the first it's difficult in the begining on the railroad. Furloughs have been around on the railroad forever it's part of the business. It might take 3-4 years to feel comfortable just to hold the extra board year round. Then again business could pick up retirements happen some might never see a furlough. I don't know what recruiters tell prospective hirees. They should tell it like it really is.
COEN77

Postby x60pilot » Wed May 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Retention board they are setting up in Cleveland covers 4 days out of 7, but only pays for 3 at the switchman rate. Here you will be making basically 1K every 2 weeks. And that is before taxes union dues health insurance and derail insurance, so you'll clear about 575-675 every 2 weeks, hardly enough to live on. So just beware, if coming to Cleveland have something to fall back on.
x60pilot

Postby trainman82 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:26 pm

here in Baltimore MD, the furlough retention board is gonna cover three days, and you'll only get paid for 2 days a week, which ends up being around $400 every two weeks before taxes, union dues, insurance, ect. you have to hold the retention board for at least a month, unless a spot on the regular extra board opens that you can hold. also, keep in mind, that if you get called while protecting the board and don't answer the phone or mark off, you lose your guarantee for the whole week.
trainman82

Postby supernova1972 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:49 pm

COEN I talked to some old heads and they say furlough boards now are much different than when they started. At Avon, we cover 3 days a week, and take home is gonna be about $600 take home every half. Thats why in the agreement it even says to seek part time employement, thats what it is set up for. Sucks but at least you will build seniority still.

Oh and no they don't tell it at all like it is lol. Like I said, I have no problem sticking it out, but I hired in with guys who where 50 making $65k a year where the average is about $45k who quit for this. Not the smartest choice. I'm only 24 and came from a union construction family so I understand layoffs and what you do to survive, but I dont know how some guys will fo it.
supernova1972

Postby matawanaberdeen » Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 am

Question how long do they keep these retention boards? I mean if this last a year will they keep these retention boards and keep paying you $1,200 a month for a year? $1,200 is not bad if you go get another job, better than most get when they get furloughed. That is a pretty cool thing if you ask me.
matawanaberdeen

Postby COEN77 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 am

supernova1972 wrote:COEN I talked to some old heads and they say furlough boards now are much different than when they started. At Avon, we cover 3 days a week, and take home is gonna be about $600 take home every half. Thats why in the agreement it even says to seek part time employement, thats what it is set up for. Sucks but at least you will build seniority still.

Oh and no they don't tell it at all like it is lol. Like I said, I have no problem sticking it out, but I hired in with guys who where 50 making $65k a year where the average is about $45k who quit for this. Not the smartest choice. I'm only 24 and came from a union construction family so I understand layoffs and what you do to survive, but I dont know how some guys will fo it.

Why would someone making 65K make a carreer change that late in life? Not the smartest choice. lol. Furlough boards were different than retention board no money gaurentee. With furlough boards a person could still make a decent half no time limits of protecting. I knew some guys that were making more on a furlough board back in the '80s than those of us who were on regular freight pools. Retention boards have their good and bad sides. Good side is it keeps health coverage current plus no loss in RRB credits because of the gaurentee. Someone starting out the retirement credits might not mean much but it does. With my furloughs back in the '70s I lost 14 months credit towards retirement. That meant after I hit my 30th year on the railroad for retirement purpose I only had 28 yrs 10 months worth of RRB credit. Once someone gets the Railroad Retirement Board BA-6 form every year it'll make more sense. Seniority will happen never know when on that one. On Jan 2, 1986 I was working as a locomotive firemen, eleven engineers retired which moved me up in one day to a locomotive engineer with my own freight pool. The only reason they all went in January in Sept 1985 after a hurricane the James River flooded and wiped out over 200 miles of mainline. It was a disaster we were all working on rerouted trains over other subdivisions plus the railroad had to rebuild there were a lot of work trains.
COEN77

Postby supernova1972 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm

matawanaberdeen wrote:Question how long do they keep these retention boards? I mean if this last a year will they keep these retention boards and keep paying you $1,200 a month for a year? $1,200 is not bad if you go get another job, better than most get when they get furloughed. That is a pretty cool thing if you ask me.

They won't though. Take my terminal for example. There are 30 guys who have been on the retention board for about a month. They have called people 4 times off of this board. So 30 guys taking home on average $550 every half, that's $33,000 a month for nothing. They won't keep this up unless business pick ups. It's a bad time right now. There are a few places short but 80% of the system has a surplus. I'd say probably more than 80%. It happens, and that's this lifestyle. You just have to deal with it or leave. Business will pick up and guys will retire. That's the way this thing goes.
supernova1972

Postby matawanaberdeen » Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 am

supernova1972 wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:Question how long do they keep these retention boards? I mean if this last a year will they keep these retention boards and keep paying you $1,200 a month for a year? $1,200 is not bad if you go get another job, better than most get when they get furloughed. That is a pretty cool thing if you ask me.

They won't though. Take my terminal for example. There are 30 guys who have been on the retention board for about a month. They have called people 4 times off of this board. So 30 guys taking home on average $550 every half, that's $33,000 a month for nothing. They won't keep this up unless business pick ups. It's a bad time right now. There are a few places short but 80% of the system has a surplus. I'd say probably more than 80%. It happens, and that's this lifestyle. You just have to deal with it or leave. Business will pick up and guys will retire. That's the way this thing goes.

Ok thanks I was just curious about that. Interesting information thanks.
matawanaberdeen

Postby yamaharider529 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey Guys I haven't been on here in a while thought Id check in. So when I first applied and got the job I was so excited about it, well now hearing about all the layoffs etc. its kind of scaring me. But the job I'm at now sucks, insurance is crap and no room for advancement so of course I'm still gonna go when they call me. Like one of you said that work will pick up and people will be retiring so lets hope for the best. I would just to come fresh out of Redi and after traing be layed off but I guess everybody takes that chance. Thanks, Adam
yamaharider529

Postby supernova1972 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:27 am

What terminal are you going to Yamaha?
supernova1972

Postby yamaharider529 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Charleston, West Virginia.
yamaharider529

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion: Employment