Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, Ian MacMillan

Re: G&U Thread - Upton & STB declaratory order petition

Postby jimw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm

papabarn wrote:From the Upton Planning Board.

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/78f18d8135f2ed0385257b4e004b3ccb/$FILE/234075.pdf. !!SORRY!! The 1 mb. limit phpBB imposes will not allow me to upload a copy for your convenience..

Where is view point# 1? Guess they are only providing the one they agree with.....
jimw

Re: Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

Postby Cosmo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah.. that's about how it looks to me.
They are also going after the mode they think they can win on, not the one of most concern. After all, would/should they not be more concerned with "bulk liquid transfer" of possibly hazardous- (yadda-yadda...) than "OMG! WOOD PELLETS! Think what THAT will do the ENVIRONMENT!! :O "
No, it's only because they think that they can win on the pellets being "cleaned and bagged" and because they KNOW that the bulk liquid transfer really IS covered under the exemption.
At least, that's MY take on it. Yours may differ with mileage. :wink:
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby thebigham » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Some engines are getting primer:

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 725942.jpg

"Some mechanical doings at the Grafton & Upton railroad; the 1500 appears to be getting a tune up, while two other locomotives, including the F unit in the backround, get fresh primer and paint."
thebigham

Postby BandA » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:17 am

Have any other propane facilities in US claimed preemption? Assuming they are preempted, then they fall under federal regulation - do they have regulations that apply?
BandA

Postby g-and-u-watcher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 am

It looks like there's roadbed construction activity in Milford. I drove by the Depot St. area in Milford yesterday afternoon and in addition to the stacks of rail and ties that have been there for a few weeks, there is now an excavator parked behind Pinz. They had already removed the old rails and ties there, and had started preparing a flat surface to lay new track.

This is in the area between South Main and Depot Streets in Milford: http://goo.gl/maps/EY5hU
g-and-u-watcher

Postby g-and-u-watcher » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm

I went by Depot Street, Milford, again today, and took a couple of quick photos of ROW work there.

At Depot St., Milford, looking East (toward the Milford CSX interchange)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e ... directlink

At Depot St., Milford, looking West (toward Hopedale yard). Back of Pinz Bowling is on left.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/l ... directlink

These photos were taken here:
http://goo.gl/maps/vWqPo

Cheers,
- b
g-and-u-watcher

Postby ebtmikado » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Lookin' good!

First saw the G&U in Milford on a fantrip aboard a New Haven RDC out of Providence, in the early 1960s.
Those RDC trips covered some very rare mileage. Sure glad I got to ride a couple of them!

Lee Carlson
ebtmikado

Postby Cosmo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I remeber crossing the G&U tracks years ago on the way to some farm where my older brother and sister went for horseback riding lessons. I did not realize then that it was the G&U, but later mapping, exploration etc I was able to find the spot(S).
"It belongs in a MUSEUM!"
-Indiana Jones
Cosmo

Postby papabarn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Motion to strike filed by the G&U regarding the letter from the Planning Board. Motion filed 22 April 2013.

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/ce84111c8d8e1ae985257b55005522dd/$FILE/234106.pdf OR download a copy attached below..
Attachments
234106.pdf
G&U Motion To Strike - 22 Apr 2013
(635.34 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
"I may not give you a correct answer, but I'll give you a snappy answer.." - Larry Glick, Late-night/Early-morning radio companion to millions in 38 U.S. states and Eastern Canadian provinces. 1922-2009. ♫♪♪♫ 254 - 5678 ♫♪♫♪
papabarn

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby papabarn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 pm

General Filing Type: Support Statement Filed On: 04/24/2013 Filed For: Citizens Of Upton Massachusetts

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/e05bc8df518ca15085257b57006a0417/$FILE/234120.pdf.. Sorry but phpBB's 1 mb. limit will not allow me to upload a copy for your convenience..

And another

General Filing Type: Support Statement Filed On: 04/24/2013 Filed For: Citizens Of Upton Massachusetts

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/c72552abc289f85285257515007219bd/86c9e1e8c67e8d4985257b57006a7890/$FILE/234121.pdf.. Sorry but again, phpBB's 1 mb. limit will not allow me to upload a copy for your convenience..
"I may not give you a correct answer, but I'll give you a snappy answer.." - Larry Glick, Late-night/Early-morning radio companion to millions in 38 U.S. states and Eastern Canadian provinces. 1922-2009. ♫♪♪♫ 254 - 5678 ♫♪♫♪
papabarn

G&U Discussion - Grafton-Upton Railroad Wins Award

Postby papabarn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm

[ Thanks to Friends of the Grafton & Upton Railroad on Facebook for alerting me to this.. ]

At 5:44 am on 25 April 2013 In an article entitled "Grafton-Upton Railroad Wins Award", Associate Regional Editor Danielle Horn of the GraftonPatch staff wrote:
The following press release was submitted on behalf of the Grafton-Upton Railroad.

CSX Transportation, the nation’s largest eastern railroad, has recognized the Grafton and Upton Railroad as one of its fastest growing short line rail partners in the nation for 2012, during which the G and U increased its freight volume handled by 193 percent.

“This shows that the investment in infrastructure and jobs I’ve been making over the last five years is living up to the potential I saw when I purchased the railroad,” said G and U owner and CEO Jon Delli Priscoli. “I thank CSX for recognizing my efforts to revive this historic railroad and make it an economic development engine for the Blackstone Valley.”

CSX officials gave the Short Line Marketing Award to Delli Priscoli at the national carrier’s 23rd Annual Short Line Workshop recently held near their corporate headquarters in Jacksonville, FL.

Read more at the GraftonPatch's web site.
papabarn

Postby daylight4449 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm

It seems the G&U has had some brush fire issues lately...
http://www.thegraftonnews.com/?p=4004
A passing train heading from Grafton into Upton is suspected of sparking two brush fires Wednesday, with the first fire reported behind the Bushel N’ Peck Deli on Worcester Street shortly after 10 a.m., and the second fire reported behind Cumberland Farms on Upton Street.
Dylan M. Lambert
daylight4449

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm

daylight4449 wrote:It seems the G&U has had some brush fire issues lately...
http://www.thegraftonnews.com/?p=4004
A passing train heading from Grafton into Upton is suspected of sparking two brush fires Wednesday, with the first fire reported behind the Bushel N’ Peck Deli on Worcester Street shortly after 10 a.m., and the second fire reported behind Cumberland Farms on Upton Street.

So does every RR in the region...but especially the ones that are only going 10 MPH on single track. It's been an exceptionally dry spring, and every time the wind kicks up Red Flag Warnings get issued for most of MA. I mean, we can rag on Housy for the brush fires their engines start because Housy provides so much ammo on a weekly basis for ridicule, but there's nothing unusual about trackside fires in these weather conditions.

(Still a better record than MassHighway and its un-mowed offramp medians that go up like matchsticks all the time. Or DCR's weed control or lackthereof in the Back Bay Fens.)
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby KEN PATRICK » Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 pm

re: brush fires- what is the ignition source? i can think of only the traction motors feeds. wouldn't weed spraying eliminate the potential? ken patrick
KEN PATRICK

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

KEN PATRICK wrote:re: brush fires- what is the ignition source? i can think of only the traction motors feeds. wouldn't weed spraying eliminate the potential? ken patrick

Sporadic sparks and carbon flotsam coming off the exhaust stacks. Happens with all diesels on every run, even the best-maintained passenger and intercity locos. The risk is elevated the slower it's traveling and the harder it's pulling. If a 10 MPH freight produces more or less the same sparks per engine RPM as a 79 MPH passenger loco, it's obviously going to upchuck more sparks on a smaller area and not going to have much time at cruising speed for the engine to throttle down and produce less exhaust. Shortlines inherently have more of a problem with this because of older equipment, slower speeds, and narrower single-track ROW's. Poor weed control does play an issue (see Housy's suspect upkeep), but a spark caught in an exhaust updraft and carried by the wind can easily travel well off the railbed, well off the ROW property lines where the RR couldn't weed-control even if they wanted to. Electrics aren't totally immune to this either. If a fleck of carbon sparks and flies off a pantograph it can do the same, albeit much less frequently than a diesel.

Given that this was on the recently restored track that got a heavy ROW clearing only a few years ago, there's probably not much more G&U could've done. The weather is what it is. Any thick dead vegetation is at-risk, and brush is regularly going up in smoke across the state on these dry, windy days.
F-line to Dudley via Park

PreviousNext

Return to New England Railfan